There area number of ways to go about having a TMMi assessment conducted:
Accredited TMMi Assessment Service Providers
Through accredited Assessment Service Providers using independently vetted and accredited TMMi assessors. Some advantages of using accredited TMMi Assessment Service Providers are:
- Guaranteed use of an assessment model validated and approved by the TMMi Foundation
- Experience has been gained from other assessments
- Lead Assessors have been accredited by the TMMi Foundation based on their experience
- Their ability based on previous assessment to provide expert guidance for improvements implementation
- They often have tools / frameworks to assist in improvements after an assessment to reduce time and cost of improvements
Accredited TMMi (Lead) Assessors using SCAMPI
The TMMi Foundation has not formally accredited the Standard CMMI Appraisal Method for Process Improvement (SCAMPI) for use on TMMi assessments. However, SCAMPI is recognized as a valid method to perform TMMi assessments. SCAMPI Lead Appraisers may apply to become an accredited TMMi Assessor or TMMi Lead Assessor provided they meet the defined criteria. The set of advantages stated above, largely also apply with assessments performed by an accredited TMMi (Lead) Assessors using SCAMPI.
A specific supporting guidelines document has been created for SCAMPI Appraisers that also perform TMMi assessments.
Self Assessment using a accredited assessment method
This option involves having at least one TMMi accredited Assessor within the organization and using an accredited TMMi assessment method.
Self Assessment without an accredited assessment method
The TMMi model is freely available to download to use it as a guide for an informal assessment approach. The resulting assessment report and recommendations may not be as detailed or accurate as using an accredited TMMi assessment method.